I am a surviving mother.
My 20-year-old son, Timothy, was shot on July 24, 2010. As I stood by his bedside at Mass General two days later on July 26, 2010, I held his hand and told him how much I loved him and was going to miss him. He stopped breathing right before my eyes. I was numb; I didn’t know what to do. I was mad at the world. But I promised my son that I would not stop until I found out who killed him. For months afterward I was so lost. All I could do was cry. I went back to work two weeks after Timothy stopped breathing. When people say “I’m sorry for your loss,” I tell them “Thank you”, but I didn’t lose Timothy, he was taken from me.
And then, when I thought I was going to have to fight this alone, I saw an article in a newspaper with these women and they were talking about being against violence. The women in the photo looked like powerful women and I just knew I had to contact them. For 3 months, I emailed and called the reporter who had done the story and finally I heard from her. She had been out with pneumonia, but she liked my perseverance. She was able to give me Monalisa Smith’s contact information. I called her and she invited me to a meeting and I was welcomed and they even allowed me to share my story about Timothy.
I’m now a member of MJE. We all know the pain of having a child taken from us. The support I receive from MJE is amazing and I truly thank God for having them in my life. The last meeting I went to I told them that my son’s murder trial would start in February and they all offered to go with me for support.